Hello and welcome to our comprehensive guide on how to host your own Garry’s Mod server. Garry’s Mod is a sandbox game that allows players to create and manipulate objects and scenarios in a virtual world. Hosting your own server can provide you with greater control over the game environment, as well as allow you to play with friends and other players online. In this article, we will walk you through the process of setting up and running your own Garry’s Mod server from start to finish.
What is Garry’s Mod?
Garry’s Mod is a sandbox game that was originally released as a mod for Half-Life 2 in 2004. In the game, players can create and manipulate objects, characters, and environments using a variety of tools and resources, including physics engines, game assets, and player-created content. The game has a large and active community of players and content creators, who have contributed a vast array of mods, maps, and other game assets that can be used to enhance gameplay.
What is a Garry’s Mod server?
A Garry’s Mod server is a virtual space that allows multiple players to connect and play together in a shared game environment. Running your own server provides you with greater control over the game settings, such as the number of players, game modes, and available maps and assets. It also allows you to create a private game environment where you can play with friends or other players online.
Why host your own Garry’s Mod server?
Hosting your own Garry’s Mod server provides several advantages over playing on public servers or using third-party hosting services. First, it allows you greater control over the game environment and settings, such as custom maps and mods. It also allows you to create a private game environment where you can play with friends or other players online. Additionally, hosting your own server can be more cost-effective than using third-party hosting services, especially if you plan to use it for extended periods or have a large group of players.
Requirements for Hosting a Garry’s Mod Server
Before you start setting up your Garry’s Mod server, there are a few requirements that you need to meet. These include:
|Operating System||Windows 7 or later, Linux, or macOS|
|Processor||Dual-core processor or better|
|RAM||4GB or more|
|Hard Drive Space||At least 1GB free space|
|Internet Connection||Broadband connection with at least 5Mbps upload speed|
While the above requirements are the minimum needed to run a Garry’s Mod server, we recommend that you consider the following specifications for optimal performance:
|Operating System||Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, or macOS High Sierra or later|
|Processor||Quad-core processor or better|
|RAM||8GB or more|
|Hard Drive Space||At least 10GB free space|
|Internet Connection||Broadband connection with at least 50Mbps upload speed|
Setting up a Garry’s Mod Server
Now that you have met the requirements for hosting a Garry’s Mod server, it’s time to set up your own server. Follow the steps below to set up your server:
Step 1: Downloading Garry’s Mod Server Files
The first step in setting up your Garry’s Mod server is to download the server files from Steam. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open your Steam client and navigate to the “Library” tab.
- Click on the “Tools” option in the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down and find “Garry’s Mod Dedicated Server.”
- Right-click on it and select “Install Game…”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the server files to your computer.
Step 2: Creating a Steam Account for your Server
After downloading the server files, you will need to create a Steam account specifically for your server. This account will be used to log into your server and manage your server’s settings and configuration. Follow these steps to create a Steam account for your server:
- Go to the Steam website and click on the “Join Steam” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create a new account.
- Once your account is created, log in to Steam using your new account.
- From the Steam client, click on “View” and then “Settings.”
- In the “Account” tab, select “Manage Steam Guard Account Security” and follow the on-screen prompts to enable Steam Guard.
- Once Steam Guard is enabled, you will need to log out and log back in to your Steam account.
Step 3: Configuring your Garry’s Mod Server
After you have set up your Steam account, the next step is to configure your Garry’s Mod server. This involves setting up various settings and configuration options, such as the server name, map, and gamemode. Follow these steps to configure your server:
- Navigate to the folder where you installed the Garry’s Mod server files. This will usually be located in your Steam installation directory, under “Steam/steamapps/common/GarrysModDS.”
- Open the “server.cfg” file with a text editor. This file contains the basic configuration settings for your server.
- Customize the settings in the “server.cfg” file to your liking. Some of the most important settings include the server name, map, and gamemode.
- Save the changes you made to “server.cfg” and close the file.
Step 4: Starting your Garry’s Mod Server
Once you have configured your server, you are ready to start it up. Follow these steps to start your server:
- Navigate to the folder where you installed the Garry’s Mod server files.
- Double-click on the “srcds.exe” file to start up the server console.
- In the console, type “srcds.exe -game garrysmod +maxplayers 16 -console +map gm_construct” (without quotes) to start a new server with 16 player slots and the gm_construct map.
- Once the server has started, you can connect to it by opening Garry’s Mod and selecting “Find Multiplayer Game” from the main menu.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I run a Garry’s Mod server on a virtual private server (VPS)?
A: Yes, you can run a Garry’s Mod server on a VPS, provided that it meets the minimum requirements for running the server. However, you should ensure that your VPS provider allows game server hosting before setting up your server.
Q: Can I add custom maps and mods to my Garry’s Mod server?
A: Yes, you can add custom maps and mods to your server by placing them in the “addons” folder located in your Garry’s Mod server directory. Be sure to read the instructions provided with the map or mod carefully to ensure that you install it correctly.
Q: How can I configure and manage my Garry’s Mod server?
A: You can configure and manage your Garry’s Mod server using a variety of tools and software, including the server console, configuration files, and third-party management software such as Garry’s Mod Server Manager. Be sure to research the various options available and choose the best solution for your needs.
Q: How many players can my Garry’s Mod server support?
A: The number of players that your server can support will depend on several factors, including the performance of your server hardware, the speed of your internet connection, and the complexity of the maps and game modes you are running. As a general rule, we recommend that you limit your server to a maximum of 16 players to ensure optimal performance and stability.
Q: How can I troubleshoot issues with my Garry’s Mod server?
A: If you encounter any issues with your Garry’s Mod server, such as crashes or performance problems, you should start by checking the server logs for error messages and other clues. You can also consult online forums and communities for help and advice from other Garry’s Mod server administrators.
We hope that this guide has provided you with all the information you need to set up and run your own Garry’s Mod server. Good luck, and happy gaming!